10 Great Uses for Coconut Oil
If you could bring one thing to a deserted island, you may want to consider coconut oil. This edible oil extracted from the kernel of matured coconuts is antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal. Comprised primarily of saturated fats, it also contains Vitamin K, Vitamin E, and minerals like iron. When used solely by itself or mixed with other simple ingredients, this MacGyver of oils has a myriad of uses. From the kitchen to the bathroom, for your hair to your toes, coconut oil is versatile and powerful. We’d like to share 10 great ways to use it daily.
1. Cook with it - Coconut oil has a long shelf life and high melting point, making it ideal for baking and stir frying. It’s also a great substitute for butter and mayonnaise, and a wonderful addition to smoothies. Coconut oil aids in digestion, regulates metabolism and even increases nutrient absorption and improves insulin levels.
2. Beautify with it - Coconut oil is a nourishing cleanser and conditioner for hair and skin. It locks in moisture, strengthens tissue, and exfoliates surface cells, lightening age spots and clearing acne. Its lauric acid and antioxidants reduce inflammation. Highlight your cheekbones with a tiny dab, remove make-up, and even use it for a close shave.
3. General Hygiene – Coconut oil’s antimicrobial properties make it ideal to use to create natural deodorant, whitening toothpaste, mouth rinse and lip balm. Mix it with some sugar for an exfoliating shower scrub.
4. Prevent with it – Coconut oil can be taken daily as an energy supplement. It supports healthy thyroid function, boosts metabolism, and increases calcium and magnesium absorption for healthy bones and teeth. Coconut oil helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels and even boosts the immune system.
5. Heal with it – Reach for the Coconut oil to treat fungus, bacteria, and viruses. From Athlete’s foot to eczema, allergies to diabetes, its components soothe and heal.
6. Care for Baby with it – Coconut oil can prevent stretch marks during pregnancy and be used as a diaper cream, nipple cream, and cradle cap remedy. It can also be used on pets to condition fur and skin, care for wounds, and kill intestinal parasites. Gentle and effective for you and baby, human or animal.
7. Clean with it – Use Coconut oil to clean your shower, dust your furniture and recondition leather. It will even remove rust, embedded gum and sticky residue.
8. Lubricate with it - In the bedroom or in the workshop, coconut oil is a fantastic lubricant for personal use and for creaky door hinges and motors. Quite the dual purpose!
9. Take it outside – Coconut oil can be used as a very mild sunscreen, and its cooling properties soothe sunburn and poison ivy. Use it as an insect repellent or to even start a campfire as an effective alternative to lighter fluid.
10. Relax with it – Coconut oil increases mental alertness and promotes relaxation. Use it as a soothing aid for mindful living. And of course, it’s a great carrier oil for massage and bodywork.
Cleanser, protector, and healer, coconut oil’s uses are diverse and wide ranging. Whether you ingest it, luxuriate in it, or recondition your cutting board with it, coconut oil is an amazing natural alternative to commercial products. Incorporate coconut oil in your daily routine for more health, beauty, and wellness.
Please visit the Educational Corner for our collection of current and past educational articles. The archive includes five categories: Health & Wellness, Massage & Bodywork, Product, Home Massage and Business. From massage research, product spotlights and detailed techniques to DIY self-care and business tips, browse our varied list and learn more.
We offer monthly newsletters to our valued customers. Each issue features new products, exciting releases, the latest news, educational articles and special exclusive offers. It’s easy and FREE. Please sign up here.